Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Are you a Watch man? Post 4

Ever since there had been the first wristwatch there has been a fascination with wristwatches. It may be just a accessory for some but for others it is the way he and other people see him or his personality. Why would someone care what they wear around there wrist one might ask? I guess it relates to fashion and we way we see ourselves. If we do not care what we look like we will most likely not care what we wear and how we wear clothing, shoe, hair ect. If we do not care then what kind of feeling of self worth do you have? Either very confident one or not at all.
 Common watch for the young
My fascination with watches came at an early age.  My dad had a drawer of old watches he kept when we live in Chile and I use to sneak in his office and were the watches. They were to big and heavy for my wrist so i pretended I was a business man going to close a bid deal. My first watch was a Mickey Mouse Disney watch. I loved it and I wore it out only to Sunday dinners when we went out. I was only in the 3rd grade when I received this. I soon got a Casio digital watch which I could wear out all the time. Those Casio watches could take a beating. After that time I kind of lost my watches and never replaced them. Only when I was in college did I need something to tell me when I had to get out of the surf to go back to school, did I purchase a Rip Curl Tide master watch. At that time I considered watches to be something that restricted you, they told you when you had to leave or arrive, I know that sounds crazy. When I graduated college my wife bought me another watch for work, it was a Freestyle steel bracelet watch. I began to get into watches again soon after that and began to look what kind of watches were out there. Well I found out that watches is a big buisness and that watchmaking skill that goes into some these timepieces are exceptional. I can put it into 3 catagories. 1. Fashion watches such as Fossil, Armani, Guess, Tommy Hilfiger, Kenneth Cole and Gucci just to name a few. These watches range in price but are usually made in Japan and are quartz movements which means that they require a battery. Nice watches due to the price and availability. 2. Semi-Luxury watches. Prices start at a few hundred dollars to 1000 they include names like Tissot, Victorinox, Seiko, Movado , Luminox and Hamilton. Many of these watches are mechanical and quartz and have Swiss movements which is typically associated with good craftsmanship.
Omega Speedmaster Pro
"Moon Watch"

3 The luxury watches range from plus 1000. Most common name here is Rolex and Tag Hauer with other such as Patek Philips, Zenith, Omega, Baum & Mercer, Oris. These watches  have mostly Swiss movements and are a status symbol. Do they show the time like a fossil watch? Yes they do but people with unlimited funds can afford to have a $5000 watch on there wrist. I do own an Omega watch it was made in the 70's and is collectible watch. I do see the fine attention to detail in there watches and  really enjoy it. So are you a watch guy? I am. I will probably never own a Rolex and I am ok I would not wear on if someone gave it to me but that is my preference and my choice, you must make your own choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment